new AICC (also known as the OAU ICC) was built in 1991 to host the extra-
ordinary session of the Organization of African Unity Heads of Government
meeting in Nigeria.
The new wing was designed by Albert Speer & Partner and built by Julius
Ltd. It is a fully air-conditioned centre with interlinked but separate
halls; the Africa Hall and Gallery, Foyer, the Mezzanine floor and Banquet
In the last decade and a half the Centre has played host to several International,
Regional and National political, social, cultural, economic and religious
conferences, summits, meetings, seminars, ceremonies and programmes.
is equipped with a wide range of facilities including;
• A Foyer with 2 Nos. offices (capable of hosting stands, fairs,
• An outdoor Arcade (along the length of the South side of the Africa
• An Executive Session Room (200 person capacity executive meeting/conference).
• VIP Lounge (56 seat lounge off the Executive Session Room).
• Africa Hall (2000 seat main conference hall, occasionally converted
Hall) with attached kitchen facilities.
• Gallery (above Africa Hall – 900 seat capacity).
• Gallery Snack Bar (60-100 persons capacity, fully fitted F&B
• 2 Nos. Committee Rooms (40-60 seat capacity).
• Aso Hall (100-250 persons capacity) convertible to Press centre
• 12 Nos. Admin & Operations Offices.
• Basement facilities (for Admin & Operations).
• Facilities for the physically challenged, in line with international
• Independent back-up power supply from three (3 Nos.) 950KVA generators.
• Automatic fire detection and sprinkler systems throughout the
• Water Fountain in front of main entrance.